Health Care Financing Training for HFG-Supported States
June 27 – July 1, 2016
As part of the effort to reform the health care financing landscape at the state level in Nigeria, USAID’s Health Finance and Governance (HFG) Project—in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health, the National Health Insurance Scheme, and the National Primary Health Care Development Agency—is organizing a five-day training workshop on health care financing.
In Nigeria, HFG currently works in four States – Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, and Lagos – to strengthen their health systems and boost health outcomes by improving financing for health and HIV and AIDS through domestic resource mobilization, enhancing governance, and supporting health care financing reforms.
This training is tasked with preparing implementers and stakeholders in the four HFG-supported states to undertake health financing reforms aimed at making progress towards Universal Health Coverage through the implementation of State Health Insurance Schemes. The training will also set the stage for building legal, institutional, and policy frameworks for supporting health care financing reforms at the state level.
This workshop is designed for state health sector actors with ministries of health, policy drivers in the finance, planning and legislative sectors. Participants from relevant state institutions and civil society will come together to build state teams that will make complementary contributions towards health care financing reforms in the four HFG-supported states.
- To deepen the participants’ knowledge and understanding of health financing concepts.
- To familiarize participants with the processes for healthcare financing policy and strategy development through the adaptation of existing policy frameworks to their specific state context.
- To acquaint participants with the legal framework and processes needed to execute health care financing reforms – state supported health insurance programmes, etc.
- To support participants identify the necessary institutional arrangements required to support and implement health care financing reforms in their states.
- To outline a road-map of specific actions that the states must undertake in terms of data management, planning, advocacy and partnerships needed to successfully implement healthcare financing reforms.