HFG has promoted the use of digital financial services (DFS) in health for the past five years. This brief synthesizes insights from HFG’s activities, looking at DFS benefits to health systems, why the health sector appears to be lagging behind in DFS uptake, and what factors might accelerate DFS integration moving forwards.
- Mobile Money Options to Facilitate Payment of Incentives in Senegal’s RBF Program: An Assessment of Opportunities, Barriers, and Solutions – June 2016
HFG conducted an assessment in Senegal to explore options for integrating mobile money into the results-based financing (RBF) program. The team sought to discover how integrating mobile money might both strengthen RBF operations and promote broader uptake of mobile money use through diffusion within the health system. This paper explores opportunities and barriers and makes recommendations for a small-scale pilot to test mobile money in the RBF program.
- Evaluating the Cost-effectiveness of Mobile Decision Support Tools: A Malawi Case Study – April 2016
This two-page brief introduces and analysis of the costs of developing and scaling a mobile decision-support application and its effect on adherence to the recommended protocol for integrated Community Case Management approach to child health, in Malawi.
- Mobile Money for Health Case Study Compendium – October 2015
This compendium profiles 14 mobile money programs and seeks to expand the knowledge base on mobile money in the health sector by drawing out trends from existing programs and examining what’s worked, what hasn’t, and why, while documenting recommendations and insights from past and current practitioners for future adaptation.
- HFG Mobile Money White Paper – November 2013
This paper reviews current use cases and potential applications of mobile money in health and includes three short case studies on some of the most documented examples of mobile money and health – MicroEnsure, D-tree International, and Marie Stopes International.
- HFG Brief – Mobile Money Defined – June 2013
What is mobile money, and how does it work? This two-page brief provides an overview of mobile, its global reach and the potential benefits it can bring to the health sector.
- HFG Brief – Mobile Money Applications for Heath Care Financing – June 2013
Two-page overview of how mobile money can be used to address financial barriers to health care access
- HFG Brief – Mobile Money Applications for Human Resources for Health – June 2013
Two-page overview on how mobile money can be used to address challenges associated with payment of health workers
- MHealth Working Group Presentation on Mobile Money for Health – Washington DC, May 28, 2013
Featuring presentations by Pamela Riley, Andrew Karlyn, Steve Ollis, Judy Gold, and Hamilton McNutt.
- Presentation at The Third AfHEA International Scientific Conference – Nairobi, Kenya, March 11-13, 2014
Presentation on Mobile Money and its potential to strengthen health systems.
Blogs and online features
- Exploring Early Adopters of Mobile Money for Health – March 2014
Blog authored by Marilyn Heymann presents early findings on the uptake of mobile money in the health sector. Published on the Center for Health Market Innovations (CHMI) website and reposted by NextBillion here.
- On Mobile Money: The Issue of Interoperability -April 2014
Blog authored by Abeba Taddese explains why interoperability is relevant for mobile money programs in the health sector. Features interview with Gerald Begusima, from Yo Uganda Limited.
Updated June 2017